Alexandria Township

New Jersey

  • Population: 4938
  • Size: 26 sq. miles (67.34 km2)
  • Established: 1798
  • Distance from NYC: 60
  • Distance from Philadelphia: 62
  • Distance from Newark: 51
  • Nearest Turpin Office
    Turpin Logo
    Oldwick

    (908) 439-3300

Alexandria Township
One of Alexandria Township’s greatest assets is its tranquil, rural atmosphere in the northwestern portion of Hunterdon County, where bucolic scenery includes rolling farmland, horse farms and wineries. In fact, the township was so quiet that the first traffic light wasn’t installed until 2007 at the intersection of Routes 513 and 579. The 2010 census reported a population of 4,938 residents in this 27 square-mile township, about 2/3 of which is farmland or preserved open space. Active citizens may be involved with the Alexandria Equestrian Association, the Musconetcong Watershed or the local Environmental Commission, speaking volumes about their strong commitment to retaining Alexandria’s pastoral nature.

Life in Alexandria is enhanced by agro-tourism businesses, book sales and summer reading programs at the Holland and Alexandria Free Library (known as “The Little Library With The Big Heart,”), dining at the historic circa 1760 Pittstown Inn or participating in a local Barn Tour. An active Historical Society offers programs about the past of this township which was established in 1765 after separating from Bethlehem Township. A number of quaint hamlets and villages include Little York, Mount Pleasant, Everittstown and a section of Pittstown. Everittstown and Little York are listed on both the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.